Saturday 23 March 2013

Why Am I Here?

Last week I started a petition in the UK, to petition the government to do more about suicide rates in this country. Having survived several attempts myself, and spending many years on forums, listening and talking to people in a similar position, despairing at the lack of help and support. I decided quite simply to get proactive.

The statistics I found scared me, hurt me, and upset me. Being in that positions when all hope I believed had gone, feeling nothing but a pit of emptiness knowing in my heart of hearts that the world would be a happier stronger place without me, well I am still here, I don't like to count my chickens, and maybe I will be here longer. Even writing this stirs something in me, that I cannot explain, a feeling I should be gone, that I do not and should not belong here.

I tried to get help on many occasion, only for red tape and cutting of services to stop that, to be told the NHS was so overwhelmed they stopped the service the support I needed, is that right? No.

I am asking whoever is reading this within the UK to take 2 minutes, to sign this:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47232


This is what I wrote on it:


Suicide rates have increased in this country, In 2011, the number of men and women under 30 in the UK who killed themselves hit a nine year high
This is directed at the Minster of Care & Support, Norman Lamb, to address and put in measures to help support and educate suicide prevention.
One death is too many, yet there is no awareness, no campaigns. In most instances something could have been done to stop someone ending their life.
To quote Mr Lamb
Mr Lamb said: "We have a complete responsibility to reduce the number of people taking their own lives.
"One suicide is one too many. It's this awful sense of the torment they must go through which means we have to give this a high priority."
It remains the biggest single killer of men in the 15 to 29 year old age bracket.
Let us hold him to his word.

I shall write more in the coming days, thank you for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment